Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Reasons For The Season



I’m an incurable fan of Bugs Bunny cartoons.  I have a collection that I view often in order to relive childhood memories. Yet now in my old age I’m surprised to discover how “adult” these episodes were.  The jokes were portrayed in a humorous way so as a kid I laughed and enjoyed the shenanigans.  And now since as an adult I get the real meaning of the humor, it’s like I’m rediscovering them all over again.  Thank you Netflix and DVD special collections.

 I’m finding many of the Bible’s stories fit this same phenomena.  I grew up learning about the Creation story, Noah’s ark, (not Abraham’s sacrifice of Isaac – too violent for children; not supposed to play with knives), David and Goliath (ok to play with a knife there; he knew what he was doing I guess), Daniel in the lion’s den (they must have been Detroit Lions since they don’t harm anyone either), and especially the Christmas story of Jesus’ birth (taught anytime except for Nov. or Dec. – can’t confuse the children about a “pagan” holiday). 

Now, however, I’m amazed to discover these stories all over again; not as simple, good-ending children’s stories, but as profound spiritual journeys requiring enormous amounts of faith from those involved.  Nothing at all simple.  Not always good-ending.  Nothing childish about them.

This time of year we’re reminded of a special baby being born to simple peasant folk, humble, isolated celebrations by shepherds, and only a handful of spiritually minded people even taking notice.  But what a huge cache of useful information on the meaning of faith, and God’s grace, and Satan running scared, and people’s careless disregard for God’s working providence just to name a few.  And too often I’m in danger of overlooking these reasons for the season.

Sadly celebrating Christmas has gotten to the point where I practically kill myself decorating houses and trees, careening all over town (many times in horrible weather) to buy presents I normally could do without, and eating myself sick thinking that I’m celebrating Christmas.  Even the Grinch found that this is NOT the reason for the season.  Unwrapping gifts that have to match the value of those you’ve given others is NOT the reason for the season.  How did I get so off track?

Here’s what I need to think about: God was willing to degrade Himself to my level and enter the world as one of us in order to undo the damage of our sin (and why didn’t He just arrive as an adult?  It would have been so much easier than to trust Himself to inexperienced human parents – so much could have gone wrong).  I also need to realize what it took for Mary to be willing to accept the impossible and to be impregnated just on the word of a stranger.  Joseph knew that wasn’t his kid, yet he listened to a dream and honored his commitment to Mary – what an awesome faith!  Then they agreed to raise Jesus in a small town where the townsfolk must have assumed they couldn’t wait for the wedding (“Oh, right, an angel told you in  a dream; right!”).  So this is why he was told not to be afraid; what a terrifying ordeal he was going to have to endure by faith!!!  I wonder, could I have done the same?  Would I have been skeptical or willing to believe the impossible?  This, and many more points in the story, is the reasons for the season!

So, this time of year, thank God for coming here as one of us; yes Jesus is a reason for the season.  But also be grateful that (1) Mary was willing to prove God’s ability to do the impossible, (2) that Joseph was willing to get over a broken heart and take a pregnant fiancé and raise someone else’s son, (3) that God, in His infinite goodness and grace, loved you enough to come down to your level in order to solve your sin problem, (4) you fill in the blank(s).

In your gift-giving, remember your Creator God who loves to continually give generously all throughout the year.  In your family reunions, thank God for the love that He provides through those He has brought into your life.  In your holiday meals, be conscious of the loving Father who provides everything you need for life and godliness.  And be especially mindful of the wonderful life God is preparing for those who, by faith, continue to live in Jesus, the greatest gift of all.

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment