Saturday, June 18, 2016

I’m Thankful For . . .

     The Bible is full of passages encouraging God’s people to be thankful for the benefits of being among His family.  The reason for this, as I see it, is that thankfulness produces loving service.  Jesus claimed this as His purpose (Mark 10:45) and our gratitude leads us to imitate Him in this way.

     Yet I know so many that have been distracted by Satan to focus mainly on their problems and frustrations.  Their thankfulness and gratitude have taken a back seat and they are unable to truly consider anything to be thankful for.

     To help you, I would like to offer you a list of blessings that I think of whenever I get discouraged.  I strive to be thankful for them so that I can keep from falling prey to Satan’s discouraging ways.

I’m Thankful for . . .
     My Salvation in Jesus Christ:
            that I am justified from sin;
            that I am being sanctified through God’s Spirit;
            that I am a child of God.
     The Countless Blessings of life:
            for my wife, children and extended family;
            for my health (it can always be worse);
            for a loving spiritual family - the church;
     God’s Constant Care:
            He takes care of my emotional needs;
            He takes care of my spiritual needs;
            He sees to my physical needs.
            And He gives me more than I need in all of these areas.
     My Future Home:
            that I am a citizen of Heaven;
            that Jesus has prepared a place for me;
            that I am an heir of God’s promises.

     I could go on and on.  But I find that when I get to this point in my list, most of my fears and doubts disappear.  It is truly helpful to follow the advice in a popular hymn that we all sing:  “Count your blessings, name them one by one; count your many blessings, see what God has done.  

     And it also helps to remember a good piece of advice I was given long ago:
            “It’s not happy people who are thankful;
            It is thankful people who are happy.”

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment