Saturday, August 2, 2014

God Never Changed


            A man I used to work with couldn’t comprehend how the God of the New Testament was the same God of the Old Testament.  He said, “Look at how He treated people before Jesus came.  He killed two guys because of the fire they used.  He zapped another because he touched something while trying to keep it from falling.  He wiped out whole cities and told His people to kill everybody - including women, children and animals!  This can’t be the same God in the New Testament who calls for love and forgiveness and mercy and peace and kindness and patience.  It’s as if He had an evil twin brother.”

            It does appear on a human level that God changed between the testaments.  The explanation I was taught while growing up was “a change of covenants requires a change of actions.”  I don’t see it that way.  Hebrews 13:8, Revelation 1:8 and 4:8 clearly state that God hasn’t, nor will He ever change.  The difference, as I see it, is not in how God reacted, but in how He related with His people.

            For example, when my children were infants, I had to do a lot of telling and commanding.  When they resisted, I disciplined accordingly and often.  As they grew and learned how to behave, I was able to allow them extra freedoms.  I guided them as they acquired more skills and didn’t need to correct them as often. 

             Have I changed from being their father?  Am I a different father?  No, I’m the same dad.  But I have changed the way I relate with them as we grow up together.  This explains the apparent difference between the God of the Old and New Testaments.  He hasn’t changed.  He’s just been able to relate differently with His people as they grow in faith.

            But remember: While the New Testament describes Him as a God of patience and mercy, it also says that He is just and will deal with sin and evil the same way He did in the Old Testament.  His desire is for everyone to repent, be baptized into Jesus and return to Him or else He will punish sin in the sinner. 

            Change what you need to right now so that He can save you like He wants to.

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment